Molluscum contagiosum involving an epidermoid cyst – a rare association and potential source of clinical misdiagnosis
Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is a viral infection of skin and mucous membrane commonly affecting the adolescents and young adults. Extensive lesions are usually common in immunocompromised patients. We herein report a rare case of MC in an epidermoid cyst (EC) in a 24-year-old immunocompetent male. The provisional clinical diagnosis was inflammed EC or lipoma. On histopathological examination the lesion displayed a unilocular EC in the deep dermis, the lining of which was infected by MC virus with characteristic inclusions. The overlying epidermis was absolutely normal having no attachment with the cyst.
2. Prieto-Granada CN, Lobo AZC, Mihm MC., Jr.Skin infections. In: Kradin RL, editor. Diagnostic Pathology of Infectious Disease. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. p. 519–616.
3. Viral diseases. Weedon D.In: Weedon D, editor.Weedon’s Skin Pathology.3rd ed. Edinburgh, UK:Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. p. 607-31.
4. Ueyama Y, Osamura Y, Shimamura K, Nishimura M, Machida S, Tamaoki N.Molluscum contagiosum occurring in an epidermal cyst on the eyelid. Light and electron-microscopic studies with literature review. Acta Pathol Jpn. 1985;35:193-8.
5. Aldabagh B, Ly MN, Hessel AB, Usmani AS.Molluscum contagiosum involving an epidermoid cyst with xanthogranuloma-like reaction in an HIV-infected patient. J Cutan Pathol. 2010;37:282-6.
6. Kanitakis J. Molluscum contagiosum in an epidermoid cyst. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011;33:638-40.
7. Phelps A, Murphy M, Elaba Z, Hoss D. Molluscum contagiosum virus infection in benign cutaneous epithelial cystic lesions-report of 2 cases with different pathogenesis? Am J Dermatopathol. 2010;32:740-2.
8. Basak K, Basak PY, Karadayi N. Molluscum contagiosum in multiple epidermal cysts in an immunocompetent patient. Saudi Med J. 2013;34:319-20.
9. Smith KJ, Yeager J, Skelton H. Molluscum contagiosum: its clinical, histopathologic, and immunohistochemical spectrum. Int J Dermatol. 1999;38:664-72.
10. Mathes EF, Frieden IJ. Treatment of molluscum contagiosum with cantharidin: a practical approach. Pediatr Ann. 2010;39:124-8.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.