Surgical Management of Odontoid Fracture in Elderly
Odontoid type II fractures are associated with high mortality in the elderly. Their management can be done either conservatively or surgically, however, surgical treatment is technically demanding and relatively new.
We report a case of 75 years old man who presented to our clinical setting, following a history of fall. The CT scan and MRI showed odontoid type II fracture. With time, the neurological deficit got marked and he underwent transoral odontoidectomy and occipitocervical fixation using rods and screws via posterior approach. Patient’s neurological condition improved dramatically and on the short term follow up, he had no motor deficit. Our experience suggests that occipitocervical fixation via posterior approach is a viable option for the management of odontoid type II fracture in the geriatric population.
2. Anderson LD, D’Alonzo RT. Fractures of the odontoid process of the axis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1974;56(8):1663–74.
3. Glaser JA, Whitehill R, Stamp WG, Jane JA. Complications associated with the halo-vest. J Neurosurg. 1986;65(6):762–69.
4. Muller EJ, Wick M, Russe O, et al. Management of odontoid fractures in the elderly. Eur Spine J. 1999;8(5):360–65.
5. Tashjian RZ, Majercik S, Biffl WL, Palumbo MA, Cioffi WG. Halo-vest immobilization increased early morbidity and mortality in elderly odontoid fractures. J Trauma. 2006;60(1):199–203.
6. Majercik S, Tashjian RZ, Biffl WL, Harrington DT, Cioffi WG. Halo vest immobilization in the elderly: a death sentence? J Trauma. 2005;59(2):350–57.
7. Börm W, Kast E, Richter HP, Mohr K. Anterior screw fixation in type II odontoid fractures: is there a difference in outcome between age groups? Neurosurgery. 2003;52(5):1089-94.
8. Andersson S, Rodrigues M, Olerud C. Odontoid fractures: high complication rate associated with anterior screw fixation in the elderly. Eur Spine J. 2000 Feb;9(1):56-9.
9. Harms J, Melcher RP. Posterior C1–C2 fusion with polyaxial screw and rod fixation. Spine. 2001;26(22):2467-71.
10. Abumi K, Takada T, Shono Y, Kaneda K, Fujiya M. Posterior occipitocervical reconstruction using cervical pedicle screws and plate-rod systems. Spine. 1999;24(14):1425-34.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.