Giant Left Atrium - A Rare Case of Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Acute upper GI bleeding is a common medical emergency with a hospital mortality of approximately
10%. Non variceal UGI bleeding is the most common cause followed by oesophageal varices. Various
rare causes have been described in the literature but there are very few cases of giant left atrium
leading to oesophageal erosion and causing upper GI bleeding. We are presenting a case of rheumatic
valvular heart disease with giant left atrium who presented in our department with acute upper GI
Keywords: giant left atrium;oesophgeal erosion; upper GI bleeding. | PubMed
atrium. IMAJ. 2009;11:641
2. Tung R, DeSanctis R. Giant left atrium. NEJM. 2004;351:1437
3. Ates M, Sensoz Y, Abay G, Akcar M. Giant left atrium with
rheumatic mitral stenosis. Texas Heart Inst J. 2006;33:389–91
4. Phua GC, Eng PC, Lim SL, Chua YL. Beyond Ortner's
syndrome – Unusual pulmonary complications of the giant
left atrium. Ann Acad Med. 2005;34:642–5.
5. Yuksel UC, Kursaklioglu H, Celik T. Apical hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy with giant left atrium. Arq Bras Cardiol.
6. Cheng Z, Fang Q, Liu Y. Cardiac amyloidosis with giant
atria. Heart. 2010;96:1820
7. Hurst W. Memories of patients with a giant left atrium.
8. Isomura T, Hisatomi K, Hirano A, Maruyama H, Kosuga K,
Ohishi K. Left atrial plication and mitral valve replacement
for giant left atrium accompanying mitral lesion. J Card Surg
9. Kothari AA, Kothari KA. A giant left atrium. J PostGrad
Med. 2005; 51: 49-50.
10. Piccoli GP, Massini C, Di Eusanio G, Ballerini L, Tacobone G,
Soro A, et al. Giant left atrium and mitral valve disease: Early
and late results of surgical treatment in 40 cases. J Cardiovasc
11. Ates M, Sensoz Y, Abay G, Akcar M. Hugh Left Atrium. Eur
J Gen Med 2006; 3(2):90-92
12. Krishnamoorthy KM. 100% Cardiothoracic ratio. Texas
Heart Inst J. 2001;28:334-5.
13. Daley R,Franks R. Massive dilatation of the left auricle.
Quart. J. Med.1949;18:81.
14. Schvartzman PR, White RD. Giant left atrium. Circulation.
15. Le Roux BT, Williams MA. Dysphagia megalatriensis.
16. Tonguc E, Kestelli M, Ozsoyler I, Yilik L, Yilmaz A, Ozbek C
et al. Limit of indication for plication of Giant Left Atrium.
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2001; 9:24-6
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.