Comparison of Fissure Healing and The Incidence of Headache Among the Patients Treated with Endo- and Perianal Application of 0.2% Glyceryl Trinitrate for Chronic Anal Fissure
Introduction: Chronic anal fissure is associated with significant morbidity and reduction in quality of life mostly in young healthy adults. Glyceryl Trinitrate, a most commonly used agent for treatment, is associated with incidence of headache causing discontinuation of treatment. There is belief that endoanal application instead of perianal is associated with lower incidence of headache. This study is to compare the incidence and severity of headache in between perianal and endoanal application of GTN ointment.
Methods: Thirty patients were taken in each perianal and endoanal group. They were given orientation to apply 375gm of ointment either endoanally or perianally and to record severity of headache according to visual analogue scale. This record was noted by independent observer in telephonic conversation. Patients were followed up at 6 weeks for evaluation fissure.
Results: The mean age, male female ratio and features of chronicity was similar in both the group however the duration of symptoms between the group was different. Regarding outcome, Overall incidence of headache was seen in two-third of patient with severe headache in approx. 10%. Severity of headache was slightly lower in endoanal group but the difference was not significant. Healing rate was comparable. Two patient in perianal and 3 in endoanal group were lost for follow up.
Conclusions: Endoanal application of GTN ointment is associated with slight decrease in intensity of headache and is comparable with perianal application for fissure healing.
Keywords: anal fissure; endoanal; glyceryl trinitrate;headache; perianal.| PubMed
2. Jonas M, Scholfield JH. Anal Fissure. Gastroenterol clin North Am. 2001 March;30(1):167-181.
3. Sailer M, Bussen D, Debus ES, Fuchs KH, Thiede A. Quality of life in patients with benigh anorectal disorders. Br J Surg.1998 Dec; 85(12):1716-19.
4. Schouten WR, Briel JW, Auwerda JJ. Relationship between anal pressure and anodermal blood flow.The vascular pathogenesis of anal fissures. Dis. Colon Rectum. 1994 Jul;37(&):664-9.
5. Nelson R. A systemic review of medical therapy for anal fissure. Dis Colon and Rectum. 2004 Apr;47(4):422-31.
6. Madoff RD. Pharmocologic therapy for anal fissure. N Eng J Med. 1998;338(4);257-9.
7. Lund JN, Scholefield JH. A randomised, prospective, double-blind , placebo-controlled trial of glyceryl trinitrate ointment in treatment of anal fissure. Lancet. 1997Jan;349(9044):11-4.
8. O’ kellyTJ. Nerves that say NO: a new perspective on the human rectoanal inhibitory reflex. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1996 Jan;78(1):31-8.
9. Scholefield JH, Bock JU, Marla B, Richter HJ, Athanasiadis S, Prols M et al. A dose finding stydy with 0.1%, 0.2%, and 0.4% glyceryl trinitrate ointment in patients with chronic anal fissures. Gut. 2003 Feb;52(2):264-269.
10. Torrabadella L, Salgado G. Controlled dose delivery in topical treatment of anal fissure: pilot study of a new paradigm. Dis Colon Rectum. 2006 Jun;49(6):865-8.
11. Lindsey I, Jones OM, Cunningham C, Mortensen NJ. Chronic anal fissure. Br J Surg. 2004 Jun;91(3):270–279.
12. Acheson AG, Scholefield JH. Anal fissure: The changing management of a surgical condition. Lagenbecks. Arch Surg. 2005 Feb;390(1): 1-7.
13. Mishra R, Thomas S, Maan MS, Hadke NS. Topical nitroglyerin versus lateral internal sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure: prospective, randomized trial. ANZ J Surg. 2005 Dec;75(75):1032-1035.
14. Zubaeri BF, Baloch Q, Abro H. Glyceryltrinitrate ointment in the treatment of anal fissures. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 1999;9:410-412.
15. Mentes BB, Irkorucu O, Akin M, Leventoglu S, Tatlicioglu E. Comparison of botulinum toxin injection and lateral internal sphincterotomy for the treatment of chronic anal fissure. Dis Colon Rectum 2003 Feb; 46(2):232- 37.
16. Golfam F, Golfam P, Golfam B, Pahlevani P. Comparison of topical nifedipine for treatment of anal fissure: a randomized controlled trial. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014 Aug;16(8):1-3. e13592. doi: 10.5812/ircmj.13592. Epub 2014 Aug 5
17. Gui D, Cassetta E, Anastosio G, Bentivoglio AR, Maria G, Albanese A. Botulinum toxin for chronic anal fissure. Lancet 1994 Oct;344(8930):1127-8.
18. Jost WH. One hundred cases of anal fissure treated with botulin toxin: early and long-term results. Dis Colon Rectum.1997(Sep);40(9): 1029-32.
19. Lund JN, Nystrom PO, Coremans G, Herold A, Karaitinos I, Spyrou M et al. An evidence-based treatment algorithm for anal fissure. Tech Coloproctol. 2006 Oct;10(3):177-180.
20. Madoff RD, Fleshman JW. AGA technical review on diagnosis and care of patients with anal fissure. Gastroenterology. 2003 Jan;124(1):235-45.
21. Lubowski D. Topical therapy is first line treatment for chronic anal fissure because of the risk of incontinence with sphincterotomy. Dis Colon rectum. 2008 Jul;51(7):1157-58.
22. Gagliardi G, Pascariello A, Altomare DF, Arcana F, Cafaro D, La Torre F et al. Optimal treatment duration of glyceryl trinitrate for chronic anal fissure : results a prospective randomized multicenter trial. Tech coloproctol.2010 Sep;14(3):241-248.
23. Azarnoff DL, Lee JC, Lee C, Chandler J, Karlin D. Quality of extemporaneously compounded nitroglycerin ointment. Dis Colon Recutm. 2007 Apr;50(4):509-16.
24. Sands LR. 0.4% nitroglycerin ointment in the treatment of chronic anal fissure pain: a viewpoint by Laurence R. Sands. Drugs. 2006;66(3): 350-2.
25. Nash G. GTN headache and reduction of natural banding? Colorectal Dis. 2008 Jan;10(1):96.
26. Libertiny G, Knight JS, Farour R. Randomized trial of topical 0.2% glyceryltrinitrate and lateral internal sphincterotomy for the treatment of patients with chronic and fissure: longterm follow-up. Eur J Surg. 2002;168(7):418-421.
27. Simpson J, Lund JN, Thompson RJ, Kapila L, Schlefield JH. The use of GTN in the treatment of chronic anal fissure in children. Med Sci Monit. 2003 Oct;9(10):123-126.
28. Lysy J, Israeli E, Levy S, Rozentzweig G, Strauss- Liviatan N, Goldin E. Long-term results of chemical sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure: a prospective study. Dis Colon Rectum. 2006 Jun;49(6):858-864.
29. Novell F, Novell-Costa F, Novell J. Topical glyceryltrinitrate in the treatment of anal fissure. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2004 Apr;96(4):255-8.
30. North JH Jr, Weber TK, Rodriquez-Bigas MA, Meropol NJ, Petrelli NJ. The management of infectious and noninfectious anorectal complications in patients with leukemia. J Am Coll Surg. 1996 Oct;183(4): 322-28.
31. Keilhorn J, Melching-Kollmuβ S, Mangelsdorf I. Dermal Absorption: World Health Organization: 2006.
32. Godlewski G, Prudhomme M. Embryology and anatomy of the anorectum. Basis of surgery. Surg Clin North Am. 2000 Feb;80(1):319-
Copyright (c) 2016 Mukund Raj Joshi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.