Ingestion of Bell Clappers by a Shaman in Jumla, Nepal: A Case Report

  • Niresh Thapa Department of General Practice and Emergency Medicine, Karnali Academy of Health Sciences, Jumla, Nepal http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3641-5622
  • Subi Basnyat Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Karnali Academy of Health Sciences, Jumla, Nepal
  • Muna Maharjan HOPE School of Nursing, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China. http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8601-8620
Keywords: case report; foreign bodies; Nepal; shaman.

Abstract

Accidental foreign body ingestion is a common problem encountered in Emergency. Deliberate foreign body ingestion may result due to an act of insanity or an act of daring. A shaman locally known as Dhami was brought to Emergency with the history of ingestion of bell clappers. He denied the history of psychiatric illness or substance abuse. On physical examination, there were signs of peritonitis. Laparotomy was done to remove the foreign bodies. Post-operative period was uneventful. Apart from the surgical intervention, psychological counselling was given to him. This is a rare interesting case due to the fact that the 15 cm long foreign bodies passing all the way through without significant injury and finally causing obstruction in ileocecal junction and perforation in the distal ileum.

Published
2019-02-28
How to Cite
Thapa, N., Basnyat, S., & Maharjan, M. (2019). Ingestion of Bell Clappers by a Shaman in Jumla, Nepal: A Case Report. Journal of Nepal Medical Association, 57(215). https://doi.org/10.31729/jnma.4055
Section
Case Reports