Extra and Intra-articular Synovial Chondromatosis
Synovial chondromatosis is not so rare intra-articular condition secondary to synovial metaplasia, that affects the knee joint. Extra-articular synovial chondromatosis however is an extremely rare condition that usually involves the synovial sheath or bursa of the foot or hand. We present two cases of synovial chondromatosis, one intra and one extra-articular. The first case was a 25 year old lady who presented with pain, swelling and restricted range of motion of left knee and was found to have an intra-articular synovial chondromatosis which was treated successfully by joint debridement. The second case was that of a 22 year old man who presented with right knee pain and was diagnosed to have an extra-articular synovial chondromatosis of his right medial hamstring tendon sheath, excision of which resulted in complete relief of symptoms.
Keywords: extra-articular, intra-articular, metaplasia, rare, synovial chondromatosis.
Malingnant Transformation of Extra-articular Synovial
Chondromatosis: Report of a Case Skeletal Radiology.
2. Fahad O. Alkubaidan, Eric J. Heffernan, Peter L. Munk;
Extra-articular synovial chondromatosis in a prepatellar
bursa, European Journal of Radiology Extra 2007:63:17-20.
3. Emily Ko, Errol Mortimer, Armando E Fraire; Extra-articular
synovial chondromatosis: Review of Epidemiology, Imaging
Studies, Microscopy and Pathogenesis, with a Report of a
Additional Case in a Child; International Journal of Surgical
4. Hugh Mackenzie, Vivek Gulati, Samantha Tross; A
rare case of swollen knee due to disseminated synovial
chondromatosis: a case report, Journal of medical case
5. Richard I. Davis, Heather Foster, Ken Arthur, Sid Trewin,
Peter W. Hamilton, Denis J. Biggart; Cell Proliferation
Studies in Primary Synovial Chondromatosis, Journal of
6. Millar TMS, Christofides A, Herlekar D, Courtman
NH; Asymptomatic Extra-articular Synovial
Osteochondromatosis of The Knee: Report of A Case; Journal
of Orthopaedics 2007:4(3).
7. M. Demirhan, L. Eralp, A.C.Atalar; Synovial chondromatosis
of the subchoracoid bursa
8. International Orthopedics(SICOT). 1999:3:358-60.
9. FH Sim, DC Dahlin and JC Ivins; Exrtra-articular Synovial
10. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am.1977;59:492-5.
11. T.E. Jeffreys, Oswestry; Synovial Chondromatosis, England
Journal of Bone and Joint surgery 1967:49B(3):530-4.
12. Murat Bozkurt, Mahmut Ugurlu, Metin Dogan, Nihat Tosun;
Synovial chondromatosis of four compartment of knee:
medial and lateral tibiofemoral spaces, patellofemoral joint
and proximal tibiofibular joint, Knee Surg Sports Traumatol
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.