A Carcinoid Tumor of The Esophagus Treated with Endoscopic Ablation Therapy
Esophageal carcinoids are exceedingly rare and only a few limited cases have been reported. Because knowledge about esophageal carcinoid is based primarily on case reports, the treatment of choice has not been settled. We report here on a localized carcinoid tumor in the esophagogastric junction. As our initial biopsy was nearly equal for the excision, we only performed coagulation ablation therapy instead of a wide excision which is traditionally recommended. The patient is free of recurrence so far during 50-month follow-up. Our report suggests that esophageal carcinoids may be not particularly associated with a poor prognosis.
Keywords: carcinoid tumor; esophagus; argon plasma coagulation. | PubMed
2. Bosman FT, World Health Organization., International Agency for Research on Cancer. WHO classification of tumours of the digestive system. 4th ed. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010:417 p.
3. Ready AR, Soul JO, Newman J, Matthews HR. Malignant carcinoid tumour of the oesophagus. Thorax. 1989; 44(7): 594-6.
4. Modlin IM, Sandor A. An analysis of 8305 cases of carcinoid tumors. Cancer. 1997; 79(4): 813-29.
5. Chuah SK, Hu TH, Kuo CM, et al. Upper gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors incidentally found by endoscopic examinations. World J Gastroenterol. 2005; 11(44): 7028-32.
6. Hoang MP, Hobbs CM, Sobin LH, Albores-Saavedra J. Carcinoid tumor of the esophagus: a clinicopathologic study of four cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2002; 26(4): 517-22.
7. Valentino J, Evers BM. Recent advances in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal carcinoids. Adv Surg. 2011; 45: 285-300.
8. Zhang L, Ozao J, Warner R, Divino C. Review of the pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management of type I gastric carcinoid tumor. World J Surg. 2011; 35(8): 1879-1886.
9. Barr H. Ablative mucosectomy is the procedure of choice to prevent Barrett's cancer. Gut. 2003; 52(1): 14-5.
10. Van Laethem JL, Jagodzinski R, Peny MO, Cremer M, Deviere J. Argon plasma coagulation in the treatment of Barrett's high-grade dysplasia and in situ adenocarcinoma. Endoscopy. 2001; 33(3): 257-61.
11. Nomura T, Miyashita M, Makino H, et al. Argon plasma coagulation for the treatment of superficial esophageal carcinoma. J Nippon Med Sch. 2007; 74(2): 163-7.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.